Pang Chan Kok, William
Senior Forensic Handwriting and Questioned Document Examiner
Apprenticeship and Training
1999 - 2009
Apprenticeship and Training under Christopher Anderson, Chris Anderson & Co Pty Ltd, 2nd Floor, 835 Pennant Hills Road, Carlingford, New South Wales, Australia.
Examination of thousands of signatures in hundreds of cases in Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei and Hong Kong.
Since 1999, Mr. Pang has been involved in document examination including:
• Handwriting Identification and Discrimination
• Signature Comparison
• Disguised and Anonymous Handwriting
• Altered Numbers and Altered Documents
• Suspect and Questioned Documents
• Erased and Whiteout Writing Detection
• Indented Writing Restoration
• Ultraviolet and Infrared Examination
• Public Presentations and Training Programs
He has studied numerous textbooks and articles on the subject and he is continuously upgrading his reference library with new texts and articles to ensure that his knowledge of developments in this field is current.
The courts he has testified include the Family, Labour, Syariah, Subordinate and the High courts in Singapore and Malaysia regarding questioned documents on civil and criminal matters.
Completed tests in 2006, 2013, 2015 and 2016 - 2020 Forensic Testing Program in Questioned Document Examination administered by Collaborative Testing Services Sterling, VA USA. These tests are in cooperation with the Questioned Document Section-American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS).
CTS tests forensic laboratories in more than 50 countries worldwide. CTS provide a critical and unbiased tool for evaluating a laboratory’s overall performance.
12th - 14th September 2006
- Asian High Security Printing Conference Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
22nd – 28th August, 2005
- International Association of Forensic Sciences, Hong Kong
13th – 17th May, 2002
- 6th International Symposium on the Forensic Sciences Canberra, Australia
- Forensic Document Expertise Development Workshop conducted by (NIFS) National Institute of Forensic Science, Australia and SMANZFL (New Zealand) in Canberra .
• 2004 - “A Practical Course on the Examination of Questioned Documents” at Government Investment Corporation (GIC) Real Estate Pte Ltd, Singapore. (One-day Course)
• 2005 - “Signature Verifications and Fraud Techniques” at Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. (One-day Course)
• 2008 - “Detecting Forged Signatures” at Public Bank Berhad, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. (Three-day Course)
• 2009 - “Signature Verification” at Bank Sarasin-Rabo (Asia) Limited, Singapore. (Half-day Course)
• 2013 - “Signature Verification” at Bank Sarasin & Cie AG, Singapore Branch. (Two days Course)
• 2015 - "Forgery detection" course at Bank of Singapore. (9-hours course)
• 2016 - “Signature Verification” at Overseas Chinese Banking Corporation (3 half day Course)
• Casino Regulatory Authority of Singapore - Handwriting identification and fraudulent documents
• DBS Finance Singapore - Individuality of Handwriting
• JP Morgan Singapore - Handwriting Analysis and Identification
• GIC Realty of Singapore - A Practical Course on the Examination of Questioned Documents
• LGT Bank in Liechtenstein Singapore - Signature Verification
• Marketing Institute of Singapore - Handwriting Analysis and identification
• Singapore Institute of Management - Handwriting Analysis and identification
• Singapore Institute of Management Singapore - Alerting Yourself to Fraudulent Documents
• HSBC Bank Kuala Lumpur - Signature Verifications and Fraud Techniques
• Skrine Kuala Lumpur - Signature Verifications and Fraud Techniques
• Kuala Lumpur Bar Council - A Deeper Look into the Principles of Signature and Handwriting Examinations
• Kuala Lumpur Bar Council - Scientific Methods to Review Forged & Altered Cheques
• Price Waterhouse Coopers, Kuala Lumpur - Deeds, Wills, and Forgery
• Forgery – DBS Finance Journal - 2000
• Handwritten Tales - & Family - April 2001
• Handwriting Can Be Identified regardless of Script –‘Star’ Newspaper - Aug 20 2010
• Fraudster Gets Tech Savy and Cheque fraud – ‘Star’ Newspaper - Apr13 2014
The American College of Forensic Examiners (2000)
Scientific Association of Forensic Examiners (SAFE)
Tay Eue Kam
Forensic Document Examiner
Masters in Forensic Science, Universiti Sains Malaysia
2013 - 2019
* Apprenticeship training under William Pang a Forensic Handwriting and Questioned Document Examiner, HFDE Services Pte. Ltd. Singapore.
* The Apprenticeship program includes : site examination, preparation of material for examination, report writing, preparation of exhibits for court testimonial and attending court sessions as observer.
Education and Certification
Undergoing the certification study program by IADE (International Association of Document Examiner) conducted by Ms. Katherine Koppenhaver, of Forensic Document Examiners Inc, a Board Certified Document Examiner and the founder of IADE.
February 2014 - October 2015
Certificate of Completion in the Training Course in Questioned Handwriting and Document Examination, by Mr. Reed Hayes of ReedWrite Handwriting Expert, Hawaii, USA.
The course consisted of 26 lessons and exams, numerous supplementary cases and many practical cases. Actual case material is utilized and, in many instances, original documentation is provided for the student’s examination. Students are required to work several actual cases and pass an extensive final exam in order to qualify for the Certificate of Training.
Training included, but was not limited topics on:- History of Handwriting, examination of signatures and initials, anonymous writing, disguised writing, quantitative and qualitative approach in handwriting examination , evaluation of printing and numerals, handwriting variables/Comparison standards, typewriting and fonts/Writing instruments, altered documents/Examining non-original documents, determining sequence of document entries, degrees of opinion and report writing.
1998 Bachelor of Science (Hons) Degree majoring in Mathematics from University Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
2001 Master of Business Administration (MBA), Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2019 Master in Forensic Science, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
· Forensic Science Society Malaysia (FSSM)
· Scientific Association of Forensic Examiners (SAFE)
· International Association of Document Examiners (IADE)
Published Research and Articles
· “Detecting Frixion Pen Erasable Ink” – publication in the International Journal of The Scientific Association of Forensic Examiners, Volume 5, 2017-2018
Presentation and Seminar
- * 4th November, 2020 – Facilitate and Demonstrate the use of ESDA to Masters students from Universiti Sains Malaysia
- * 23rd October, 2020 – Presented via video conference to Diploma students from the Faculty of Crime and Investigation, SMART College Sdn. Bhd. Malaysia – “Forensic Document and It’s Challenges”
* 25th July, 2019 - Presented at National Forsensic Science Symposium 2019 (FSSM) - "Classification of Individual According to Ethnic Gorups in Malaysia using Numeral Characters - A Preliminary Study"
* 25th August, 2018 - Presented at International Association of Document Examiners (IADE) - "Chinese Writing"
* 29th March, 2017 - Presented at the Scientific Association of Forensic Examiners (SAFE) monthly Education Seminar – “Non English Writing – Chinese Handwriting”
2020 SAFE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
SAFE EDUCATIONAL SEMINAR
* Aug 1, 2019 - "Disguised Signature", Reed Hayes, CDE
* Jun 27, 2019 - "Methods for Examination of Electronic Documents", by Dough Carner, AVFA. CFHI, CCFE, CPP
* Feb 28, 2019 - " Challenges of Fundamental Differences in Writing", Reed Hayes, CDE, and Beverly East
* April 25, 2018 - "Cross Examination of Expert Witness from the Trial Lawyer Perspective", Nancy L Stagg, Kilpatrick Townsend, Partner
* Mar 22, 2018 - "Digital Microscope 'Zarbeco Miscope'", by Dave Zweig
* May 31, 2017 – “The NEGA ACPC software package - “Digital – Xray””, by Dave Madden, BSc. (Hons), DIS, CSG.CDE
* Mar 29, 2017 – “Examining foreign handwriting and signatures”, by Reed Hayes-CFDE, Eue Kam Tay-FDE, Mike Mara-FDE, Mike Wakshull, CFDE
* Oct 26, 2016 – “Disguised Writing”, by Bob Baier, CDE
* May 25, 2016 – “SAFE Standard Guideline” & “Writing Instruments”, by Reed Hayes, CDE
* Mar 24, 2016 – “Preparing CV”, by Reed Hayes and “Ethical Perspective of a Document Examiner”, by Sheila Lowe, SAFE
* Mar 9, 2016 – “Using Power Point to do Overlay”, by Beth Chrisman, IADE
* Jan 27, 2016 – “Authentication Studies of Art and Documents – A Microscopical Approach”, by Joseph Barabe, Senior Research Microscopic at Barabe & Associates LLC
* Dec 17, 2015 – “Limited Exemplars and Their Use in Forming Expert Opinions”, by Jacqueline A. Joseph, CDE, D-BFDE, Certified Forensic Document Examiner
* Jul 31, 2015 – 2015 SAFE International Online Conference
Proficiency Test - administered by Collaborative Testing Services, Inc (CTS)
This Program is included on CTS’ Scope of Accreditation to ISO/IEC 17043:2010.
·2015 - 2020 Collaborative Testing Services Proficiency Test in Handwriting Examination (Test 524)